Over the course of the past few months, at regular intervals, I’ve been posting the really bad messages I get on POF (PlentyOfFish.com) on Twitter. The messages are actually so bad they’re good. So bad that they often make me giggle. So bad that I’m guilty of breaking out the POF inbox when having cocktail based nights-in with my girlfriends. Most would break out the DVDs or photo albums, but not me, I break out my laptop. A POF inbox makes for an interesting evenings worth of entertainment, especially when you’re already giggly thanks to too many homemade alcolic beverages.
In the past I’ve been told the messages I share on Twitter are turning me into somewhat of a comedian, but the thing is, I really can’t take all of the credit… the credit must go to the many ‘delightful’, ‘flattering’ and ‘oh so articulate’ men who insist on sending me such comical messages.
Fellow blogger The Hopeful Romantic suggested I should do a blog post on the many cringe worthy messages I’ve received. I once (way back in the day) wrote a post on My Online Dating Pet Peeves, but this is different. Today’s post is dedicated, solely, to the ‘Messages on POF’.
Please do bear in mind, these are all real honest-to-goodness messages I have received on POF. They are all first time messages, so I guess they can be classed as introductions. I have not tampered with any, no editing has been done whatsoever and they appear in full. I have not changed any spelling, grammar or exaggerated anything for entertainment purposes. These guys are really just this abrupt, really this slimy and really this clueless – with no help from me.
I hope they bring you as much amusement (or should that be bewilderment?) as they have brought me…
- “you put some nice pics on your profile, it will be good to go out on a date with you, we we will have much to talk about!”
- “your smile is doing it honey :)”
- “i like u”
- “you look hot”
- “how u doing gergous?xxx”
- “Hi how are you? you are very nice, ciao”
- “hey u r a scorpio, u nice !!!”
- “hoii ya looking great as usual”
- “you look gorgeous and i like you”.
- “you’re a cutie ;-)”
- “Text me, 079xxx xxxxxxx”
- “Morning Cheeky”
- “hiya, u’ve got quite an admirable appearance i must say; certainly the looks of a black queen! regrettably, cant help sounding rather flattery or being perceived as disingenuous, but i’m being honest as i possibly can, from just gazing at your photos posted here. hoping my guess is not quite far from d real you!!”
I guess these guys think their messages are somehow flattering but does anyone else find it funny (or, ahem, scary) that grown men seem to think it’s okay to approach a woman like this?